I do have a more upbeat post about the fire that I’m working on and I’ll probably put it up on Friday, but I just wanted to give you an update and I know many of you who don’t live in the area are concerned. As the focus for this blog is Energy and Healing, it seems a little strange to be writing about current events affecting my smallish community, but I guess it’s still energy in all of its forms.
Fire is so important in many spiritual traditions. It can be cleansing, and also destructive – but I keep seeing the image of the Phoenix in my mind and this helps me to say in a positive space. But more about that later in the week…
You can watch the news and get the gist of the situation, but I think it’s different when you hear directly from a resident of the area. As the days wear on, the national news coverage seems to get sparser – maybe because it is now more like old news – but it is obviously still very current here in Fort Collins. We’re reminded of the fire by the ever present thick smoke, the sound of bombers and helicopters flying back and forth and the presence of forest service firefighting equipment around town. It’s somewhat surreal.
Here’s what we have been told today:
- Containment is still listed as 10% today with an additional 3,000 acres or so burned in the last 24 hours. The total burned area is now listed as 46,600 acres.The biggest area of concern right now is the area of the fire to the north and west.
- One of the reasons firefighters are worried about this particular area is that it’s composed of about 70% of trees recently killed by pine beetles. They’re basically matchsticks waiting to explode.
- Some residents have been allowed to go back to their homes in areas that were not burned.
- The Larimer Sheriff’s department is starting to take inventory of the buildings that have been damaged/destroyed and they’re talking with evacuees on an individual basis. So far, the number of buildings destroyed is around 120.
- They are still evacuating new areas on the northwest side of the fire as that part is still completely out of control.
- We have about 1000 people now fighting the fire and a large air attack force now in place.
- Firefighters are working to make a stand at the Cache La Poudre River, hoping to keep the fire from crossing the river and continuing north.
- One bright note is that many people had time not only to save themselves during the the evacuation, but also to save their animals. A large number of large animals as well as pets have been saved. The large animals are being housed at our local fair grounds and many pets are being cared for by the Larimer Humane Society – over 250 of them. Several veterinarians have also opened their kennels for overflow from the humane society. If you’re itching to do something to help, LarimerHumane.org is taking financial donations to defray the costs of this very large influx of animals.
So that’s what we know today. Thank you to all of you here on the blogosphere for your words of encouragement and concern. Your positive energy, thoughts and prayers warm my heart and help raise the vibration for my beloved community.